Friday 11 March 2016

Glasgow



All medical doctors in the whole world recognise the word "Glasgow" from Glasgow Coma Scale. A measurement used to determine whether someone is conscious or not. However, what is Glasgow? Or who? Why is it called Glasgow Coma Scale? When I first heard of it, I didn't give any concern to that word. Even when I first heard the name Glasgow, as a city in Scotland, I didn't make any connection between the two. The first notion I had of "Glasgow" is that it is a big city where people go for shopping. I was living in Dundee, then. Within the year I was in Dundee, I had only been to Glasgow, twice, and none of those times gave any impression of the city, nor did I make any connection between the city and the measurement. Isn't that foolish? Or is it what people call ignorance?

Now, I have been living in Glasgow for 3 years. I'm in love with Glasgow. I thought of this city as my second home. The hustle and bustle can only be found in the centre of the city. I like how they manage the city into 5 parts. You can find University of Glasgow and some tourist sites at the west end of the city. You can find stadium at the south side of the city. The east end and north side are mostly dwellings.


Starting 2014, Glasgow has a motto of "People Make Glasgow". I learn this term when Glasgow was having Commonwealth Games 2014. They shared this motto by merchandise, such as pen, lanyard, badge and even bag and t-shirt. They also include this in the Opening ceremony of Commonwealth Games.


What is the meaning of "People Make Glasgow"? It means how people build the city of Glasgow, not only by bricks or economy. It is how people the city of Glasgow vibrant and dynamic, by using arts, music and many things. That's why Glasgow is known as city of arts. You can find arts everywhere in Glasgow. You can also find music played anywhere in Glasgow. When you walk through Sauchiehall street, Buchanan street and Argyle street, you can find musician, artists, performers on every corner of the street. That's why it is a vibrant and dynamic city.


No comments: